Data visualization is a challenge for all of us, done correctly can be very powerful, done incorrectly can undermine your communication efforts.
Tamara Munzer with the Department of Computer Science from the University of British Columbia assembled this document I found quite helpful. The information provided is quite dense so plan on spending an hour at least going over her presentation.
If you enjoy tracking this type of information follow these blogs as well:
- Daily Infographic – http://www.dailyinfographic.com/
- Information is Beautiful – http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/
- Visualizing Data: http://www.visualisingdata.com/
- FlowingData – Visualize This: https://flowingdata.com/category/visualize-this/
- WTF Visualizations: http://viz.wtf/
A sample from Tamara’s paper: