Wildland Fire Resources on line, open to the public (updated 6/25/2016)
Fire Enterprise Geospatial Portal (EGP) – https://egp.nwcg.gov/ authoritative source of standardized geospatial information for the full range of wildfire activities ranging from response to planning. Public version now available for free.
GeoMAC – http://www.geomac.gov USGS tool all Federal fires. You can download the fire perimeter KMLs to use in Google Earth from here as well. Open the viewer at: http://www.geomac.gov/viewer/viewer.shtml
Wild Fires Near Me (WFNM) – https://wildfiresnearme.wfmrda.com/wfnm/index – beta application for displaying wildfire information from authoritative sources. Setup your profile and have the application send you notifications. Where does this information come from – see the documentation in the application!
Current Wildland Fires – http://www.arcgis.com/apps/PublicInformation/index.html?appid=0c12ac1e89c24075a2be145f4db6caf5 This is done by a private company (Esri) to aggregated data from multiple resources. Nicely done and public facing.
INCIWEB – http://inciweb.nwcg.gov all federal fires this has closures, PIO reports, maps, meeting announcement and notes, lots of information on all federal fires.
Wildland Fire Progression – Animated Map – http://simtable.com/apps/fireProgression/output2015/index.html select a fire and play the animation. Previous years are also available: http://simtable.com/apps/fireProgression/
Geographic Area Coordination Centers (GACCs): http://gacc.nifc.gov/ – 11 centers cover the USA and Alaska for the purpose of incident management and mobilization of resources (people, aircraft, ground equipment). Each area is an interagency management group made up of Fire Directors from Federal and State land management agencies. They support not only fires, but all hazard responses within their areas. These websites are jam packed with information on incidents, predictive services, etc. Worth the time to visit!
Situation Report – http://www.nifc.gov/nicc/sitreprt.pdf
- Northern California – http://gacc.nifc.gov/oncc/
- Seasonal Update (North) – http://gacc.nifc.gov/oncc/predictive/outlooks/Seasonal_Outlook.pdf
- Southern California – http://gacc.nifc.gov/oscc/
- Seasonal Update (South) – http://gacc.nifc.gov/oscc/predictive/outlooks/myfiles/assessment.pdf
California fires (CAL FIRE) – http://cdfdata.fire.ca.gov/incidents/incidents_current this has CA fires and federal fires when they are Multi agency.
California Emergency Management Agency (EMA) – fire information in California as a map service: http://calema.maps.arcgis.com/apps/OnePane/basicviewer/index.html?appid=8f418629727943d4b284cafdb823cdd0
Oregon wildfires – http://wildfireoregondeptofforestry.blogspot.com this has fires on OR state lands.
Oregon SW District – http://www.swofire.com/
USFS & NOAA Active Large Fire Mapping –
- http://activefiremaps.fs.fed.us – main page, links to fire detection sites, etc.
- http://activefiremaps.fs.fed.us/lg_fire2.php only large active fires
MODIS hot spots – https://earthdata.nasa.gov/data/near-real-time-data/firms/active-fire-data get most current every time you visit… Go for USA data set. Animation might not work on iPad. Use caution with this data since some hits are not fires, remember these pick up heat.
NIFC National Situation Report… http://www.nifc.gov/nicc/sitreprt.pdf
Earth Animated Wind map – http://earth.nullschool.net/
Lightning Stikes – for a longer list go here: http://www.lapeltz.com/?page_id=268
- Intellicast – http://www.intellicast.com/Storm/Severe/Lightning.aspx
- Vaisala – http://www.lightningstorm.com/explorer.html
- Weather Channel – http://www.weather.com/maps/activity/golf/uslightningstrikes_large.html
Smoke Maps –
- BlueSky AirFire – Smoke Modeling – http://www.airfire.org/bluesky/ – go to Data and Tools to see model runs.
- NOAA US Fire Monitoring – http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/FIRE/fires-nw.html
- NASA Fire & Smoke – http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/fires/main/
- US Air Quality (Smog Blog) – http://alg.umbc.edu/usaq/
- California Smoke Information – http://californiasmokeinfo.blogspot.com/
- Oregon Smoke Information – http://oregonsmoke.blogspot.com/
- Global Wind Map – https://www.windyty.com/?38.927,-120.898,1 – this has lots of options see the tools, overlays and altitude options!
- Wind Map World – http://earth.nullschool.net
- Wind Map USA – hint.fm/wind/
- Santa Anna Wildfire Threat Index – http://psgeodata.fs.fed.us/sawti/
Non-Public Intel Sites:
- Automated Flight Following – https://www.aff.gov/