Wildlandfire Resources on line, open to the public
GeoMAC – http://www.geomac.gov USGS tool all Federal fires. You can download the fire perimeter KMLs to use in Google Earth from here as well.
Current Wildland Fires – http://www.arcgis.com/apps/PublicInformation/index.html?appid=0c12ac1e89c24075a2be145f4db6caf5 This is done by private companies so data is aggregated from other resources. Nicely done and public facing.
INCIWEB – http://inciweb.nwcg.gov all federal fires this has closures, PIO reports, maps, meeting announcement and notes, lots of information on all federal fires.
Geographic Area Coordination Centers (GACCs): http://gacc.nifc.gov/ – 11 centers cover the USA and Alaska for the purpose of incident management and mobilization of resources (people, aircraft, ground equipment). Each area is an interagency management group made up of Fire Directors from Federal and State land management agencies. They support not only fires, but all hazard responses within their areas. These websites are jam packed with information on incidents, predictive services, etc. Worth the time to visit!
California fires – http://cdfdata.fire.ca.gov/incidents/incidents_current this has CA fires and federal fires when they are Multi agency.
Oregon wildfires – http://wildfireoregondeptofforestry.blogspot.com this has fires on OR state lands.
Oregon SW District – http://www.swofire.com/
USFS Active Large Fire Mapping –
- http://activefiremaps.fs.fed.us – main page, links to fire detection sites, etc.
- http://activefiremaps.fs.fed.us/lg_fire2.php only large active fires
MODIS hot spots – https://earthdata.nasa.gov/data/near-real-time-data/firms/active-fire-data get most current every time you visit… Go for USA data set. Animation might not work on iPad. Use caution with this data since some hits are not fires, remember these pick up heat.
CA fires from CAL EMA – 2014 fires http://calema.maps.arcgis.com/apps/OnePane/basicviewer/index.html?appid=8f418629727943d4b284cafdb823cdd0
NIFC National Situation Report… http://www.nifc.gov/nicc/sitreprt.pdf
Earth Animated Wind map – http://earth.nullschool.net/
Lightning Stikes –
- Intellicast – http://www.intellicast.com/Storm/Severe/Lightning.aspx
- Vaisala – http://www.lightningstorm.com/explorer.html
- Weather Channel – http://www.weather.com/maps/activity/golf/uslightningstrikes_large.html
Smoke Maps –
- NOAA US Fire Monitoring – http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/FIRE/fires-nw.html
- NASA Fire & Smoke – http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/fires/main/
- US Air Quality (Smog Blog) – http://alg.umbc.edu/usaq/
- California Smoke Information – http://californiasmokeinfo.blogspot.com/
- Oregon Smoke Information – http://oregonsmoke.blogspot.com/
Wind Map – http://hint.fm/wind/
- Santa Anna Wildfire Threat Index – http://psgeodata.fs.fed.us/sawti/